xiaomi logo generaic reuters 1651925595677

Xiaomi’s allegations are baseless, the Enforcement Directorate said

The Enforcement Directorate on Saturday denied that the allegations were “under duress” and that the statements of officials of Xiaomi India, a wholly owned subsidiary of Chinese mobile maker Xiaomi, were recorded “under duress”.

The federal agency has responded to allegations recently made by Xiaomi in the Karnataka High Court that it threatened its superiors with “physical violence and coercion” during questioning by ED investigators in Bangalore.

The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has issued a statement stating that it is “a professional agency with a strict work ethic and no coercion or intimidation of company officials at any time”.

“The allegations that ED forcibly took the statement of Xiaomi India officials are untrue and baseless.” “Xiaomi India executives have voluntarily deposited their statements before ED under FEMA in the most favorable environment on various occasions,” the agency said.

It stated that they had disputed these statements based on documents and information provided by the company during the investigation.

“Their statements will be verified with the written answers submitted to the ED and the material contained in the record,” the agency said.

Xiaomi India’s Rs. Rs. The move comes in the wake of ED issuing an order on April 29 to seize funds worth more than Rs. 5,551 crore for allegedly violating the Foreign Exchange Management Act.

Earlier this week, the Karnataka High Court stayed the entire order.

Xiaomi Global Vice President Manu Kumar Jain’s testimony was recorded on four occasions on April 13, April 14, April 21 and April 26, while Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Sameer BS Rao was recorded on six occasions, the agency said.

Rao’s statement was recorded on March 25, April 14, April 19, April 21, April 22 and April 26.

“However, they did not complain at any point during the recording of the statements in the various cases.” “The last statement of the company officials was recorded on 26.04.2022 and the siege order was issued on 29.04.2022. The allegation made now after considerable time has elapsed seems to be an idea,” it said.

The agency said Xiaomi’s allegations were “baseless and far from the facts”. Xiaomi is a mobile phone dealer and distributor in the country under the MI brand name.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.