WhatsApp on Wednesday announced that its users can now transfer their entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa. The feature was first announced at last year’s Galaxy Unpacked event. Before this, WhatsApp users had to rely on third-party apps to transfer their chat history or lose it while switching. The Meta-owned platform initially rolled out this feature in a beta update. Unfortunately, this feature still doesn’t transfer your WhatsApp call and payment history.
WhatsApp has officially rolled out the new migration feature through a tweet. The company has updated its FAQs page To highlight the method to transfer WhatsApp chat history from Android to iOS. Users should note a few things before going ahead with the migration — their Android smartphone should be on Android 5 or higher and iOS 15.5 or higher should be installed on their iPhone. The transfer is done wirelessly, so both your devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Furthermore, it is recommended that you connect your handsets to a power source during migration.
During last year’s Galaxy Unpacked event, WhatsApp revealed that this new migration feature will initially be available for select Samsung smartphones. The feature was rolled out to a wider userbase as part of a beta update.
How to Migrate from Android to iPhone
Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
Enter the code displayed on your iPhone on your Android phone.
press continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
choose WhatsApp On Transfer data screen
press Get started on your Android phone and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. Once the data is ready you will be signed out of your Android phone.
press Later on To return to the Move to iOS app.
press continue Wait to transfer data from your Android phone to your iPhone and move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
Open WhatsApp and login using the same phone number used on your old device.
press Get started When prompted and allow the process to complete.
You will see your chats on the new device after you complete its activation. Importantly, the transferred data will not be uploaded to iCloud until you create a backup. The data will remain on your Android device until you uninstall WhatsApp or wipe your smartphone.
Things to keep in mind before transferring chat history
- Your Android device has Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or higher or Android 5 or higher installed
- Your iPhone has iOS 15.5 or higher installed
- Move to the iOS app installed on your Android phone
- WhatsApp iOS version 220.127.116.11 or higher on your new device
- WhatsApp Android version 18.104.22.168 or higher on your old device
- Use the same phone number as your old phone on your new device
- Your iPhone must be factory new or reset to factory settings to pair with the Move to iOS app and move data from your Android phone
- Both your devices must be connected to a power source
- Both your devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you need to connect your Android device to your iPhone hotspot
Sennheiser CX Plus SE earbuds launched in India; Go on sale during Amazon Prime Day