The Alphabet unit Google on Monday asked the second highest court in Europe to overturn a fine of EUR 1.49 billion ($ 1.6 billion) (approximately Rs. 11,986 crore) imposed by EU antitrust regulators three years ago for obstructing rivals in online search advertising.
The lawsuit alleges that the European Union (EU) imposed a fine of 8. 8.25 billion (approximately Rs 66,375 crore) on the world’s most popular Internet search engine.
The European Commission said in its 2019 decision that it abused its dominance to block websites using brokers other than the AdSense platform that provides Google search ads. The commission said that from 2006 to 2016, illegal practices took place.
Google subsequently challenged the EU search in Luxembourg-based General Court. The company will unveil its claim at a three-day hearing starting Monday.
The Google court document states that the EU’s competitor’s assessment of Google’s dominance and that the Commission’s decision that search ads and non-search ads should not compete is incorrect.
It also took issue with the commission’s allegations that the company’s specialization, premium placement and minimum Google advertising terms were abusive.
Google suffered a setback last year when it lost a court case against a UR 2.42 billion (approximately Rs. 19,466 crore) decision to use its own price comparison shopping service to gain an unfair advantage over smaller European rivals.
© Thomson Reuters 2022